Can I go and take my therapy equipment on my vacation?
Travelling with your therapy equipment is now made easier, thanks to ResMed’s device technology.
Designed to be lightweight and highly portable, ResMed’s therapy devices and masks will prove to be an easy travel companion, wherever you go. Most ResMed devices can be used all over the world, in the great outdoors and even on an airplane. This makes travelling with your therapy equipment relaxed, comfortable and easy. Just the way it should be!
Fits your outdoor lifestyle
Now you can continue to enjoy the outdoors even with your ResMed device.
We offer converters for our wide range of products. These converters allow you to use your device from a 12V or 24V DC power source in a car, boat or any other vehicle that has a suitable battery.
Most of our devices operate with an external battery source, called the ResMed Power Station (RPS) II. In addition, Astral devices have their own external battery solution, offering even more flexibility. So you now have the freedom to go out more without interrupting your therapy. Our battery guideprovides detailed technical information about using your device with an alternate power supply. Please note that you should always refer to the user guide for your device for specific instructions.
Perfect for air travel
Now there’s no reason why your treatment should keep you from flying and getting a good night’s sleep! Thanks to the portability and convenience of ResMed’s sleep therapy equipment, the sky is the limit when you want to see more of the world.
Before travelling with your therapy equipment, you should:
- At least two weeks prior to travelling, get clearance from the airline to use your device on a flight (if your approval is in the form of a letter, carry a copy with you).
- Arrange to sit near a power source on the aircraft. In case of no power source, the RPS II, our lightweight and portable power station, is ideal for air travel.
- Confirm the type of power cord or adapter used by the aircraft
- Carry a letter from your doctor certifying your need for positive airway pressure therapy.
- Take a copy of ResMed’s statement of FAA compliance letter (in English, in Spanish, in Portuguese) for ResMed devices
- Pack the correct adapter for the country you’re travelling to because power outlets differ in each country. Adaptors can be bought from most electronics and travel stores, as well as in airports.
- Ensure that there is no water in the humidifier tub before detaching it from the device and packing it away.
- Most ResMed devices can automatically adjust for changes in altitude and run on virtually any power supply in the world, with a suitable adapter.
- Remember, you can use your device on the plane, but not your humidifier, as aircraft turbulence increases the risk of water spillage and damage to the device.
- Your Hotel room may not have a power socket located near the bed head, so pack an extension cord to use your device and mask, comfortably.
The following information should always be within reach:
- Your treatment pressure
- Your mask type and size
- Contact details for your equipment supplier and care provider
- Your health insurance information
- Your doctor’s details
- A copy of the ResMed positive airway pressure device travel letter for assistance in carrying the device through security and on the aircraft
Most of these instructions apply to ventilators as well, but you should always check with your care provider for specific instructions and considerations.
Travel with sleep apnoea FAQs
Can my therapy device run from the 400Hz power supply on the aircraft?
Yes. Even though the rating plate on the therapy device specifies
50-60Hz, the switch mode power supply in the flow generator is compatible with the 110 volts 400Hz power supply on the aircraft.
Will I need to have my therapy device adjusted if I travel at high altitudes?
While most of our devices will automatically compensate for higher altitude changes, some lightweight devices may require manual adjustment. If no adjustment is made, it may deliver less effective therapy. Please consult your local care provider for more information.
Will the x-ray scanners at airport security affect my therapy device?
No, the x-ray scanners will not harm your device. However, Security may need to see the medical statement from your physician verifying that you are carrying medical equipment. So keep it handy!
Do I need to take my device with me if I need hospitalisation?
Yes. If you’re having surgery, it’s very important that you tell both the surgeon and the anaesthesiologist that you have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) and are being treated with positive airway pressure therapy.